Damon Dark World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damon Dark World and his spin-off: Vincent Kosmos, The Young Adventures of Damon Dark, The Lansing Chronicles.

5 posters

Should I go PRO??

DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Should I go PRO?? Empty Should I go PRO??

Post  DoctorLansing Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi everyone... I have been seriously considering changing careers lately. I have been in my current field which has nothing to do with film or effects for about 10 years. I am 28 years old and I have never had any other interests in any other careers besides the one that I am in... EXCEPT special effects in film. Since I was a kid, I have wanted to work on films, TV shows, etc and never felt like it was something that I could achieve until recently. In my current job, I have not been happy lately and wish that I could get out. I have had enough of my current career and I dont feel like I can be happy for the next 14 years which is how long it would take me to reture. I feel that because I have been practicing effects etc as a hobby for over 2 years and have enjoyed it and gotten better, that it would be a career that would make me happy and allow me to fulfill my dreams. Plus from what I have heard, I would make alot more than I do currently or probably ever will if I stay.

I have been looking at the DAVE school which is located in Orlando Florida (where I live) at Universal Studios. www.daveschool.com is the website for anyone who wants to look. It is the Digital Animation and Visual Effects school. The problem I have is making a decision on whether to take such a HUGE step and gamble because I am scared. The school is 5 days a week starting this Jan. from 6p-11p and I would have to go after my job which I work 8p-4:30p and am subject to being called back in. I cannot afford to quit my job to go to school so that is one problem. The other is that the school costs $33,500 and lasts 1 year but has financial aid available to make it affordable hopefully.

Basically, I need advice from anyone who can give it on whether or not I should leave a job that I dont have to worry about loosing, but will not be happy at, to pursue my dream job which may or may not be secure. There is no garauntee that I would get a job after the school which is another worry but they also have job placement and companies like Industrial Light and Magic, Pixar, Sony Dreamworks, Imageworks, etc etc.

siiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhh................ what to do what to do??
    Oliver
    Oliver

Should I go PRO?? Empty Re: Should I go PRO??

Post  Oliver Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:14 am

Hi Trea,

Most of my friends and family changed there careers in there 30s, all have been for the better, myself incuded. A friend of mine did what you want to do and went from selling insurance to designing for Runescape.

There are more and more jobs in that sector every year.

Life is too short. Be brave but dont get into too much debt if you can.

Good luck

Olly
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Trea, there's a few things you can do here.

Firstly, try a pareto analysis. It's like a pro and con analysis, but Joseph Pareto's theory was better than simple pro and con, he believed that if you make the most important 20% of the changes you need to make, it'd yield 80% of the results you'd achieve if you made 100% of the changes.

So write lists of the things you are considering doing, the pros and the cons of those changes and then look at the changes and ask "which action is the most significant."

Also, consider a few things I've picked up from Bob Proctor of Life Success Systems (the man who I consider my mentor). He points out that most people set goals to do what they "think they can do" rather than "what they really want to do." Your passion lies in what you really want to do, so you're more likely to succeed at it. Being "realistic" and setting goals for what we think we can do, rather than what we want to do means we will be defeated at the first obstacle, because there's no passion. So *do* what you really want to do.

Finally "Act as if it is impossible to fail". Why? Because it is impossible to fail, it really is. There's only quitting, failing is a decision. So realise the obstacles we think are before us are merely illusions. And walk though them in faith that things will work out.

Remember, success is a direction we choose to take.
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Very good advice that I appreciate Ade. I am still deciding but the biggest issue at the moment is getting approved for a loan... That is proving a little challenging. We'll see
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am

I'm happy to help any way that I can, Trea. As I say, if you ever want to just sound out ideas with someone you can always email me or PM me, here. I've spent 12 months at a College in "student support" helping a lotta people sort out lots of issues about decisions which affect their lives, so I like to think I can help people.

(Sorting my own issues out is always harder...I find the objectivity when it's some one else's problems is the key, really. Much harder to be objective about yourself...know what I mean?)
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:17 am

Well I took a tour of the school last night and I was extremely impressed!! I had recently been considering quitting my current job and getting a temporary job that would most likely pay no where near as much as I need, but would not interfere with the school. After talking with the admissions person at the school last night for hours, it seems that it is possible I may be able to juggle my current job and the school, atleast for a while... but it will be extremely difficult. There is a chance that I may either miss a class here or there, or that I may be called out of class because of my job but they seem to be willing to work around it. They also suggested selectively taking vacation during some of the more stressful days of class which I can probably do. I should only have to worry about being called out of class one week a month hopefully... There is also the possibility that while in the school, I could find a job to support myself for 6 months or so if my current job is interferring... meaning I would have a choice of either choosing to stay in the school, or stay in my job.... I would choose the school!

The next hurdle is affording the $33,500 US dollars that the school costs.... which means I am more than likely going to have to ask my parents to co-sign the loan for me. Considering that they have no idea that I want to do this, it will be an interesting conversation... to make it worse, I have to do it over the phone because they live 300 miles from me. My wife lost her job a few days ago also which adds more fuel to the fire... hopefully she will find something new soon...

That is where I am at the present time for those who care about this thread.. I think Ollie and Ade are the only ones who have responded and I appreciate you both. I'll leep you posted.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Great news, Mate. Listen, I've been reading a book called "I can make you rich" by Paul McKenna, a famous hypnotherapist/NLP expert and I think there's some idea in his book that could assist you.

Consider approaching some of the FX companies which might end up employing you (just write them a letter) and include some examples of your work on a disk and basically outline your intentions to study at this place and how you think you could be a valuable asset to their company at the end of the course. Ask them to invest in you by helping you towards the figure of $33,500 you need. Ask them to sponsor you. And tell them you'd love to meet with them to discuss the proposal in person.

I think if they interview you and you seem like someone they want on their team and you have lots of exciting ideas for adding to their company, they might just put some money into your development so they can employ an asset at the end of your course.
    j3pfilms
    j3pfilms
    Admin

Post  j3pfilms Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:38 am

This is great news Trea! Sorry I haven't been much help in deciding but it's not really my field of expertise being 14 years old! lol!
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:51 am

Young Whipper-snapper! Razz Very Happy
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Well.. everything certainly looks different on here all of a sudden..

HERE IS THE LATEST FOR THOSE INTERESTED...

I had a long talk with my parents.. it went about the way that I expected it to.. not really great. If I didnt cover this before.. my father is pretty demanding and thinks that I need to live my life the way he wants me to. He wasnt very happy.... my mother was more supportive but is scared of going through all of this and NOT getting hired the way I want. While that is a possibility, I think it is more likely that in worse case scenario, it may just take longer to get a job but I will. The other thing is she thinks I need to keep the job I have at all costs and not let the school interefere with it.. I am the opposite saying that I need to not let my job interefere with the school. I think all I can do is go for it and if it gets to where the school interfere's with my job, then I will have to pick the school. I need a backup plan for income though in case that happens so I think I need to try and start working on that.

I never was able to ask for the co-sign on the loan because when they found out how much it costs, they gasped in shock. I am going to try to do what I can on my own and work with the school, give them time to think about it and maybe come around, and IF I need to ask, ask later. I am "all in" with them anyway now so I think that I will have to hear alot more from them on this in the near future.

I thought I may feel better after talking to them.. I dont.. I feel about the same as I did though so not really worse. I will be talking with the finance lady at the school probably this week and maybe also the owner of it soon so some if this may be able to be cleared up by them.. more soon. :/
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:16 pm

j3pfilms wrote:This is great news Trea! Sorry I haven't been much help in deciding but it's not really my field of expertise being 14 years old! lol!

haha.. I understand.. but here is something to look forward to when you get older!!! These tough decisions... one suggestion though.. dont let your parents discourage you from doing what you want to do.. this is something I used to want to do and I still remember my mother saying "yes but that is not a stable job market." I found out now that it is more stable than she thought.. you may not work in the same exact place for 20 years and retire.. but you can be hired at different companies for different time periods to work on various projects.. sometimes being rehired by the same company on many occasions..
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Trea, with the power of persisitence, you will definitely get a job in the area you want if you stick at it. There's no such thing as failing, only giving up and you wont do that.

What did you think of my suggestion in post number 7? (Above).

BTW, think this way from now on: "YOu are your source of income". A company is nothing without its employees. The company only pays you because of what you do in it, so start to see yourself as the generator of your income, not your employer (s). It comes from you, your efforts, your creative output. And opportunities to make money are all around us, they are abundant and always will be.
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Straker wrote:Trea, with the power of persisitence, you will definitely get a job in the area you want if you stick at it. There's no such thing as failing, only giving up and you wont do that.

What did you think of my suggestion in post number 7? (Above).

BTW, think this way from now on: "YOu are your source of income". A company is nothing without its employees. The company only pays you because of what you do in it, so start to see yourself as the generator of your income, not your employer (s). It comes from you, your efforts, your creative output. And opportunities to make money are all around us, they are abundant and always will be.

Ade, reading your posts here is really inspirational! Thank you so much for that I need it alot. As for post 7, I am working on that now. I have three places in mind I just have to finish my demo reel and resume.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Fantastic! You'll succeed, Trea!
    supremecommander
    supremecommander

Post  supremecommander Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:18 am

DoctorLansing wrote:Well I took a tour of the school last night and I was extremely impressed!! I had recently been considering quitting my current job and getting a temporary job that would most likely pay no where near as much as I need, but would not interfere with the school. After talking with the admissions person at the school last night for hours, it seems that it is possible I may be able to juggle my current job and the school, atleast for a while... but it will be extremely difficult. There is a chance that I may either miss a class here or there, or that I may be called out of class because of my job but they seem to be willing to work around it. They also suggested selectively taking vacation during some of the more stressful days of class which I can probably do. I should only have to worry about being called out of class one week a month hopefully... There is also the possibility that while in the school, I could find a job to support myself for 6 months or so if my current job is interferring... meaning I would have a choice of either choosing to stay in the school, or stay in my job.... I would choose the school!

The next hurdle is affording the $33,500 US dollars that the school costs.... which means I am more than likely going to have to ask my parents to co-sign the loan for me. Considering that they have no idea that I want to do this, it will be an interesting conversation... to make it worse, I have to do it over the phone because they live 300 miles from me. My wife lost her job a few days ago also which adds more fuel to the fire... hopefully she will find something new soon...

That is where I am at the present time for those who care about this thread.. I think Ollie and Ade are the only ones who have responded and I appreciate you both. I'll leep you posted.

I believe you can do it Trea but in the finish it has to come from you as only you can take that first vital step forward! cheers do not be too hard on your parents as they are just as frightened of this change as you are ,probably more so.

remember they see things through different eyes than you do so they may never be
    comfortable with your decision but only you can make it and for that reasos you need to. I realize I have come in late on this but i am 50 and facing some of the biggest challenges in my life and work life and I have 27 years of marriage on the
    clock so change is not easy! So if you have gone through the pros and cons,have the support of your partner,GO FOR IT!!! and do not stop!! you may thing I am crazy but I am not mad! cheers on a successful career change,
    lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 am