Damon Dark World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damon Dark World and his spin-off: Vincent Kosmos, The Young Adventures of Damon Dark, The Lansing Chronicles.

3 posters

JUMP CUTS!

DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

JUMP CUTS! Empty JUMP CUTS!

Post  DoctorLansing Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey guys.. here is something that I wanted to mention to everyone that I occasionally see and shouldn't. It is called a "Jump cut."

A jump cut is when you are filming yourself or someone and as an example, your body is in one position and you turn off the cam, then move some, turn cam back on and start filming. It gives you the appearance of jumping or skipping. I see this sometimes when someone messes up on a line and they splice the first take (good part of the line) with a 2nd take (replacing the part they messed up on.) This is considered to be very unprofessional in the business because it just looks like a home video rather than a professional film. It sometimes happens in editing also when you may splice something together and your frames dont match up exactly.

I have seen this in a few videos and just wanted to mention it for those who may not think about it while filming or editing. If you mess up on a line the best thing to do in my opinion is reshoot it from the start of that scene. You should see some of the raw footage of my trying to say my lines and messing up 7 or 8 times in a row LOL. We should all do one big blooper real one day!!! Smile
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

JUMP CUTS! Empty Re: JUMP CUTS!

Post  Straker Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 pm

There's one in Earth Under Siege. It was a screw up in the editing when the gap between two shots was left empty instead of the shot which I meant to stick there (a cutaway to the SOCRAD, I think) got lost. Very frustrating!

My most recent vid has a sorta jump cut, where I had two shots that were too similar in angle to make for an effective cut. It...almost works, but I still find it jars a little.

I also get the odd glitch when I upload my video to the PC....not sure why, but every so often, the data seems to have a gap. Sad

No one else seems to have the problem....why me? Why mee?
    DoctorLansing
    DoctorLansing
    Admin

Post  DoctorLansing Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:32 pm

LOL.. I posted something for you in another thread here (cant remember the name) about getting rid of Windows Movie Maker and upgrading Smile That would help alot I'm sure.. try to find that post and get with Chris about Pinnacle he can give you some advice on that. Smile
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:39 pm

The problem seems to happen when I'm loading the video off the camera into the PC via the firewire cable...dunno what's up with that...there seems to be no glitches on the tape, but the PC is showing freezes and gaps....maybe it is WMM...I dunno...
    j3pfilms
    j3pfilms
    Admin

Post  j3pfilms Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:41 am

I don't usually have problems using WMM to get my footage from tape to PC. Not that I use my DV Tape Camera very often. Too much bother compared to my HDD camera, although the file formats (MOD) can only be edited in PowerDirector.

As for Jump Cuts. I'm a little guilty of those myself. Space Station 5 is littered with them. But on that particular occasion they improved the film because the joke of it was that it was tacky rubbish!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm