Damon Dark World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damon Dark World and his spin-off: Vincent Kosmos, The Young Adventures of Damon Dark, The Lansing Chronicles.

5 posters

Gerry Anderson shows!

Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty Gerry Anderson shows!

Post  Straker Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 am

My fave Gerry Anderson shows are UFO, Space:1999 and Thunderbirds. UFO was the original inspiration for Damon Dark. I watched the episode "Timelash" when I was 11 and I thought, "wow, what if they made a show where every episode was like that one!" And that was where Damon Dark came from!

One thing about Gerry Anderson, I think he was far ahead of his time in terms of production values. Whenever I think of a show being well made or well produced, I think of his shows.

The use of color in Space:1999 is amazingly clever. What really strikes me about it is, many of the images are black and white, save for one single color part in the middle of the shot.

The sets for Moonbase Alpha are white, with black panels and the people wear white uniforms with a colored sleeve to indicate rank. So often you see these colored sleeves and colored indicator lights and the actor's skin color is the only color. The rest of the image is black and white.

And in the space shots, the Moon is grey, the ships are white, space is black and often the only color is a red or purple or blue planet in the middle of the shot.

It's a striking use of color that makes it eye catching viewing, decades after it started.
    Oliver
    Oliver

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty Terrahawks

Post  Oliver Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:10 am

Do you remeber Terrahawks Adrian?

Great show, I worked with Windsor Davies at Panto. Lovely man. He voiced the Sergeant Major Zero.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty Re: Gerry Anderson shows!

Post  Straker Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 am

I taped the whole series on first broadcast out here in 1983...I still have the tape to this day! Smile

Windsor Davies? Wow! Cool! He's a legend! Very Happy
    j3pfilms
    j3pfilms
    Admin

Post  j3pfilms Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 am

I'm so disappointed I wasn't alive when Thunderbirds and everything were first shown. There was such a huge excitement about them that I feel ashamed to have missed! Nowadays shows like that have become a bit of a joke, not making my life too easy in that respect. But I'm still a fan of everything he's done. I've got a whole bookcase covered in his videos. And I'm not ashamed of it cos I've got nothing to be ashamed of!

The production techniques are just so fascinating to me. The production of the Supermarionation series is one of the greatest stories ever told!

GERRY ANDERSON YOU ARE KING!
    unclefred

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty TerraHawks-Great show

Post  unclefred Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 am

I could not agree moe,Terrs Hawks was a great Anderson show and I believe their best and most imaginative production. It would have been intersting to see it in a live format production.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:07 am

Welcome to the forum, Uncle Fred! Glad to see you here! I was just working with your former co-star Robert Trott today! You will remember him better as Mr.Sparkwell, who tried to take over the world...by making a robot of you!!! Very Happy
    unclefred

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty Mr Sparkwell

Post  unclefred Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 am

Yes, thats right damon,he tried to takeover the world but had not counted on the unique power of my trusty yellow screwdriver . I hear he has been moonlighting in other places, using names like garry!
    Although I believe Garry is the name of sponge Bob squarepants's pet snail but I will get my delightful niece sarah to check out the validity of my last thought.i must be going now , I think the cats peed on the modem and the budgies had a canary! life has been a bit slower lately due to my lack of work. Nobody appreciates a good honest 50 year old hero anymore,no respect,all in love with flash and dash and black shirted heros wandering and meandering through time and space and looking all serious and stiff with nary
    a great vest to be seen anywhere! I must go .sarah's yelling at me to to stop pestering people on line oh
    well,Old heroes never die,they just get forgotten by people who you thought cared!
    moonhoppers
    moonhoppers

Gerry Anderson shows! Empty Gerry Anderson shows

Post  moonhoppers Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Love UFO and Captain Scarlet... and like Jack we weren't alive when these shows first aired. But then, most of the films and tv we like were made long before we were born. Anyway, thank heaven for DVDs and re-runs. Smile

Haven't seen Space: 1999, but know that Harry 'Aitch' Fielder appeared in a couple of episodes as an extra. Maybe someone here has heard about him. He has a wonderful website filled with loads of memories from his 32 years in the showbiz, written down in a highly entertaining style. For anyone interested visit: http://www.harryfielder.co.uk/

Hope it's okay to put the link here, a bit off-topic, but a great read.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am